- If you don't want your Mema and your monkeys to see it, don't post it.
- Don't ever speak badly about your job or your boss on any social media site. It is forever.
- On that note, the picture of you on vacation with a bong and too much cleavage? It is also forever. Don't post it, or better yet, don't do it.
- Get enough sleep. You'll be nicer for it.
- Be nice. But really be nice. If you cannot be nice, it is okay to retreat to your pillow fort for the day.
- Tip well. Waiting tables/Barista-ing/Being a hairstylist- these are hard and brutally under appreciated jobs. So, round up and tip well.
- Vote with your dollars. Your money probably matters more than your check on a ballot box, so recognize where every dollar goes.
- Grow something. Whether it is an extravagant vegetable garden, a windowsill of herbs, or an impossible to kill succulent, grow something. Getting your hands dirty and keeping something alive are good reminders that we are a small part of something big.
Grow something. ANYTHING....
- Call your grandmother. Call your mom. Call your old neighbor. Even if you only have five minutes, let them know that you are thinking about them. That five minutes might not be much, but you are not guaranteed five minutes tomorrow.
- If your dog or cat pee on whatever you are growing (see number eight...), try again. A good reminder that shit happens, or in the case of my favorite plant, dog pee happens. Thank God for second chances.
- Be nice to yourself. Talk to yourself like you would your dearest friend, and be kind. You are going to mess up, forget to feed the lizard, step on someone's toes, stick your foot in your mouth, forget to pay the phone bill for two months, but it is okay. You would not beat your BFF up over honest mistakes, so don't beat yourself up.
- Drink more water. Wine and vodka don't count, but drink more water. Why? I don't know, just do it.
- Put your phone down. You are not so important that everyone needs to know what you are thinking in 140 characters, where you are on foursquare, what you are eating, or what is playing on your Spotify. So put your phone down, and actually enjoy what you are eating, what you are listening to, or who you are with.
- Apologize. When you have been an asshat, own it. Give a real apology, not an "I am sorry you feel that way" apology. When you show regret and own up to being a jerk, it is a sign of strength. And it is hard. Do it. And if you do it awkwardly, try again.
- Hug people. Hug their necks, hold their hands, peck their cheeks, pick them up and twirl them around. Whatever works. It is all about connection, and it is fleeting. So grab it while you have the chance.Unless it's the workplace, and then, try to avoid a lawsuit. A firm handshake or backslap might work.
Saturday, November 23, 2013
November's Thirty Days of Thankfulness.... Ummm, yeah, I forgot that one. I can appreciate how awesome everyone else's lists are, but some days are a challenge for me. No one really wants to hear that I am thankful no one puked on my floor, or that I am grateful my banana didn't have any black spots. So I may not have a Thankfulness List, but I have a LIST! I am working on any or all of these at at any given point, so I have a list that I can even mark things off of. There- I am THANKFUL for lists.
That's all, cupcakes. Peace and love and hugs and Potting Plants. XOXOXO
I used to have reservoirs just a few steps from my wee cottage's front door. Full of bears, squirrels, deer, foxes, and a few animals I ...